Just over 15 miles north of Gainesville, one stumbles upon the rural town of LaCrosse. Filled with acres of farmland, the 4.4-squaremile area is mostly dedicated to agriculture, such as vegetables, cattle and most importantly, potatoes. The area was settled in the 1860s, with cotton farming being the main occupation. LaCrosse is also known as the “Potato District.” Farming of potatoes and other produce continues today in the area. The town’s farming economy reflects the nature of the original Florida. Not only home to agriculture, around 360 people also reside in LaCrosse. The small town became part of Alachua County in 1957. The town is known for its small businesses, while many of the town’s residents work in the nearby city of Gainesville, according to Lacrosse’s website. The town provides easy access to the many recreational activities offered in North Florida. LaCrosse maintains the LaCrosse Recreational Park, which consists of a half-court basketball court, tennis court, a playground area and picnic pavilions. The LaCrosse community takes pride in supporting the LaCrosse Fire Department. The town has its own fire department, and contracts with Alachua County to provide rural fire rescue services to county residents within an approximate 86 square mile area surrounding the town. The town is also part of the weekly bookmobile stop from the Alachua County Library District. LaCrosse is located north of Gainesville on State Route 121 at the northern edge of Alachua County. LaCrosse has dedicated itself to agriculture and is even known as the “Potato District.”
Published by Business in the Heart of Florida. View All Articles.
This page can be found at http://omagdigital.com/article/LaCrosse/2694561/378757/article.html.